Vacancy for a Lay Board member
Deborah Seddon is retiring at the end of June and we are looking for her replacement on the Board.
The Patent Regulation Board and the Trade Mark Regulation Board
- The Legal Services Act 2007 requires those involved in the provision of legal services to separate the representational activities of their professional bodies from the regulatory functions.
- The Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA) and the Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (ITMA) have each set up separate regulation boards but the boards work together as The Intellectual Property Regulation Board (IPReg) which started operating on 1st January 2010.
- The Patent Regulation Board and the Trade Mark Regulation Board are responsible for all regulatory functions relating to the two professions, including qualification into the profession, professional standards and conduct and disciplinary matters.
- Each Board has three professional members.
The appointment is from 1st July 2017 until 30th June 2020.
The Candidate – Specific
Key competencies are:
- a good understanding of the principles of quality assurance in HE, professional education and training;
- an awareness of good practice in HE progamme accreditation;
- an awareness of good practice in CPD for professionals: principles, recording and monitoring;
- an understanding of the role of PSRBs in education and professional development.
Desirable competencies are:
- experience working in a PSRB;
- a network of contacts in HE quality assurance and/or PSRBs.
Please note that you cannot be appointed as a lay member of IPReg if you:
- have ever held a legal qualification;
- are or have ever been a Trade Mark or Patent Attorney; or
- are a member of a profession currently regulated under the Legal Services Act.
Remuneration, Time Commitment and Location
Members are expected to attend 10 meetings each year.
Members receive remuneration of £3,600 per annum for 10 days plus £360 per day for each additional day. These payments are adjusted annually for inflation. Travel and other expenses are reimbursed.
The offices are at Outer Temple, 222-225 Strand, London WC2R 1BA.
How to Apply
Interviews will take place in London on Thursday 15th June 2017 (we will not be able to offer an alternative date).
The Chief Executive, Ann Wright, would be very pleased to answer any questions – please contact us via email@example.com.
Closing Date for applications is 4 pm on Monday 15th May 2017.